LDS GrandParents are always wondering exactly what to give for that very special gift. Regardless of whether the present you need to give is for a wedding, new grandchild, birthday, graduation or whatever — have I got the very BEST gift any LDS GrandParent could possibly give. As we all know, keeping in touch with our family and loved ones — can be a challenge. If you have any amount of distance separating you from your children and grandchildren – there are ways to make the distance momentarily disappear.
I’ve known about SKYPE for quite a while now, but just passed on by it. I even have what is called a “webcam” built right into my computer that I have had for almost a year. SKYPE is a FREE online way for you to connect face-to-face in real-time with anyone who also happens to have access to a “webcam”. A WEB CAM is a small video camera that either is built directly into your computer – OR one that you can purchase very inexpensively and EASILY connect externally to your computer.
When two computers both have a webcam, you can download SKYPE for FREE onto your computer and connect LIVE to whomever you want to visit with and talk to, online! How cool is this?
If you don’t have a WEBCAM built into your computer – you can easily purchase one at any department store. However - I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND using an online site such as AMAZON.COM for choosing and purchasing a WEBCAM. I shop online using Amazon.com for just about every gift I give. I do this for a number of reasons:
- Amazon gives you great product reviews from other consumers who have purchased a product. You KNOW you are buying quality, with little chance of a return necessary.
- Amazon.com is very SAFE for making any online purchase. You don’t need to worry that you might get scammed.
- SHIPPING COST are the best around. I’ve even signed up for their “Prime Shipping” feature. In this way, I pay one fee for the entire year and I can ship anything FREE or get it there in 2 days for around $3.00. (If you are like me and need to get things out fast — this is for you, too)
- RETURNS are a breeze. Whether you are purchasing for yourself or as a gift – AMAZON will pick-up from YOUR doorstep.
- AMAZON has just about ANYTHING that you can think of that you would want or need. I purchase a lot of my LDS Books through Amazon. They are cheaper and I have them faster.
Okay, enough plugging of Amazon. But you must know that there is really nothing else like Amazon.com for easy shopping — particularly for grandparents. Can you tell that I’m a hug fan?
Back to the WEB CAM. If you go to Amazon.com and do a search for “webcams”, you can easily read the customer reviews and choose one as a gift to send – no problem whatsoever. Make sure you pick up one for yourself, too. Your life will never be the same once you have the ability to SKYPE with your family, friends and loved ones.
When my most recent grandchild was born, I gave my daughter’s family a WEBCAM, as a new baby gift. In this short video, Ryan, her husband – is using it to SKYPE one of his missionary families in Brazil. Upon my return home to California – I was thrilled when they SKYPED ME!